Faith - Leadership - Scholarship - Honor - Service
page tools /
Home /
About SJCP / History

PagePops
You have 1 PagePop. View

Saint John's has a Remarkably Long and Distinguished History of Academic Excellence

May 1782

John Mc Elroy, founder of St. John’s Literary Institution, is born in Euniskillen, Ireland. He immigrated to America at the age of twenty-one, settling first in Baltimore, Maryland, then in Washington, D.C., where he entered the Jesuit Order at Georgetown.

Circa 1787-1803

Large, elegant mansion, later known as Prospect Hall and future site of St. John’s Literary Institution was constructed on Red Hill.

1829

Father McElroy founds Saint John's in Frederick with the Society of Jesus (who also founded the first free school for black children in Washington D.C., and founded Boston College in 1865). Charter of St. John's Literary Institution is obtained from Maryland State Legislature.

1915

St. John's Literary Institution becomes coeducational, and the School Sisters of Notre Dame help staff the parish school.

1958

St. John's Literary Institution moves from downtown Frederick to the Prospect Hall property.

1972

The School Sisters of Notre Dame were no longer able to staff the school, so a group of dedicated parents and parishioners pool their energies and resources to keep the school open. St. John's opens as the first independent Catholic School in Maryland.

1979

Prospect Hall Mansion is placed on the National Register of Historic Places. A Sesquicentennial Celebration Ball is held for St. John's Literary Institution.

2005

Board of Directors vote to build brand new school campus.

2006

Board of Directors signed contract to build new school.

2006/2007

Architect schematic drawings for new campus completed, Legacy Campaign Co-chairs appointed, Legacy Campaign Kicks Off.

2008

Began working with Wye River Group to obtain permanent financing for project.

2011

Board of Directors vote to enter contract with St. Thomas More Academy to purchase their building and property.

2012

Permanent financing for project finalized
Closing on purchase of St. Thomas More Academy (Aug. 24, 2012)
Demo & construction begins at Buckeystown Campus

2013

January 2013 - Moved to New Buckeystown Campus

February 2013 - Liturgy & Dedication of New Campus

© Copyright

Saint John’s Catholic Prep
3989 Buckeystown Pike, P.O. Box 909 Buckeystown, MD 21717
Phone: 301.662.4210

email page print page small type large type
powered by finalsite